Open University Dissertations
Theses and Dissertations Online (TDX) is a digital cooperative repository of doctoral theses presented at some Spanish universities. The consultation of theses is opened and allows the user to construct searches on the complete text of the files by author, advisor, title, keywords, university and department of publication, year of defense, etc. This repository, managed by the Consorci de Serveis Universitaris de Catalunya (CSUC), and sponsored by the Generalitat (government) of Catalonia, has the following goals:
- To publicise, around the world and on the Internet, the results of university research.
- To offer the authors of theses a tool to increase public access to their work, enhancing its visibility.
- To stimulate the open scientific production.
The universities that take part in TDX disseminate the repository among their doctorate students with the aim of, once their theses be presented and approved, they hand in the information needed to introduce their theses on TDX. Since 2007 there have been carried out digitalization projects as well, in order to add those theses only preserved in original format (paper or microfiche) on TDX. Through these digitalization projects more than 1.400 theses have been converted into digital format, among them there is, for instance, the these of the first Spanish woman with a medical degree and Ph.D.
The author's rights of the theses are protected by a declaration that specify the conditions. A lot of thesis are using Creative Commons licenses. The terms and conditions of use are specified when registering each thesis (in the metadata’s).
TDX came into being as a result of the Digital University in Catalonia 1999-2003 agreement, signed on 8 September 1999 by the then representatives of the Department of the Universities, Research and the Information Society of the Generalitat, the University of Barcelona (UB), the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), the Technical University of Catalonia (UPC), Pompeu Fabra University (UPF), the University of Girona (UdG), the University of Lleida (UdL), Rovira i Virgili University (URV), the Open University of Catalonia (UOC), the Catalan Research Foundation (FCR), CESCA and CBUC. Jaume I University (UJI), the Balearic Islands University (UIB), the Valencia University (UV), the Ramon Llull University, the Cantabria University, the Murcia University, the Vic University, the Abat Oliba University, the International University of Catalonia, the Andorra University subsequently joined the network in July 2002, December 2002, April 2003, October 2004, March 2005, July 2005, June 2006, May 2007, December 2007, January 2008 and April 2013.
Since 2011 TDX participates in the cooperative network MetaArchive with the aim of ensuring the preservation of thesis and being in one of the world pioneer initiatives in this field. This preservation is being carried out through LOCKSS software.
The theses included on TDX are described with Dublin Core metadata and use the interoperability protocol OAI-PMH (Open Archives Initiative-Protocol for Metadata Harvesting), which permits increasing its visibility when offering together with other repositories, such as, for instance, DART-Europe E-theses Portal (where TDX participates represented by Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya) or DRIVER. From May 2007, TDX incorporates the option of performing global searches in other Spanish repositories of theses, by using also this protocol.
If you have a Phd from one of the universities participants or you would like to the modification of one thesis already introduced, contact with the corresponding university. To request information on theses, please contact directly the university where it was published:
- Universitat de Barcelona (UB), CRAI - Unitat de Recerca i Innovació, 93 403 53 77, tdxub [dot] edu.
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), Gestió Acadèmica de l'Escola de Postgrau, 93 581 30 10, tdxuab [dot] es.
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Biblioteca, 93 401 09 42, tdxupc [dot] edu.
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF), Biblioteca, 93 542 17 27, tdxupf [dot] edu.
- Universitat de Girona (UdG), Biblioteca, 97 241 81 89, tdxudg [dot] edu.
- Universitat de Lleida (UdL), Secció de Tercer Cicle, 97 370 20 43, doctorataga [dot] udl [dot] cat.
- Universitat Rovira i Virgili (URV), Secció de Doctorat i Titulacions, 97 755 86 09, tdxurv [dot] es.
- Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC), Unitat de Doctorat, 93 253 57 36, tdxuoc [dot] edu.
- Universitat Ramon Llull (URL), Vicerectorat de Recerca i Innovació, 93 602 22 00, tdxurl [dot] edu.
- Universitat de Vic - Universitat Central de Catalunya (UVic-UCC), Biblioteca, 93 881 55 09, tdxuvic [dot] cat.
- Universitat Internacional de Catalunya (UIC), Servei de Biblioteca, 93 254 18 36 tdxuic [dot] es.
- Universitat Abat Oliba CEU (UAO), Biblioteca, 93 254 09 07, tdxuao [dot] es.
- Universitat d'Andorra (UdA), tdxuda [dot] ad
- Universitat de les Illes Balears (UIB), Servei de Biblioteca, 97 117 28 15, tdxuib [dot] es.
- Universitat de València (UV), Servei de Publicacions, 96 386 40 68, tdxuv [dot] es.
- Universitat Jaume I (UJI), Biblioteca, 96 472 88 21, tdxuji [dot] es.
- Universidad de Cantabria (UC), Biblioteca, 94 220 11 80, tdrunican [dot] es.
- Universidad de Murcia (UM), Servicio de Publicaciones, 96 836 34 06, tdrum [dot] es.
To obtain more information on TDX, please contacttdxcsuc [dot] cat.
The Open University Virtual Research Environment (VRE) supports OU research students in developing skills they will need to pursue and complete their doctorates successfully and on time.
The Library provides advice and guidance on different aspects of the research process;
Writing research papers and dissertations
The OU Library Search can be used to find material on preparing and presenting dissertations and theses by searching for the subject heading Dissertations, Academic Handbooks, manuals.
Resources are also available via the Internet:
Where to publish
Your supervisor will advise on where to submit material for publication. However, you might find the ISI Journal Citation Reports (JCR) a useful source of information. Click on "Journal Citation Reports" on the ISI Web of Knowledge Interface.
You can use JCR to generate a list of journals in your subject area ranked by their 'impact factor' a ratio based on the number of times a journal article is cited in academic literature. Journals with high impact factors may receive greater exposure and notice than articles in lower rated titles.