Essay Topics Advantages Disadvantages Television
Advantages and Disadvantages of Television (TV) – Essay, Speech, Article
The television was invented by John Logie Baird, Philo Warnsworth, and Charles Francis Jenkins in 1926 and it was successfully demonstrated in San Francisco on September 7, 1927. Television is a wonderful and popular invention of Science and Technology. Television plays a very important role in our daily life. It keeps us updated. Most of the people spent their free time watching television. It entertains us in many ways by showing movies, songs, cartoons, serials and most importantly what’s going around the world i.e. news. Television is also useful for the developing country like India. Nowadays every person has access to it as everyone is keen to watch T.V.
Merits and Demerits of Television
Advantages of Television (Pros of Television)
We come to know about current affairs, news going all around in the world. Children also get entertain by watching cartoons, stories that provide you moral values and lessons. You can also watch food recipes and try them at home. You can watch movies, listen to songs, watch daily soaps, horror series etc. you can watch tele-channels and also buy products through television. We can update our self by knowing about the economy, we can also know about stock market etc. We can also watch fashion shows and come to know about the latest trends.
You can watch live shows. You can also see cricket matches and can cheer up for our country. We can see the media interviews such as of political leaders, actors and actresses etc. Television is the cheap source of entertainment and now we can also subscribe the channels which we want to see. Many channels and programs provide educational information. There are various types of quiz shows which help us to gain some knowledge. We can also participate in the reality shows that could be any such as educational quiz, fear factor shows, food shows, dance shows, singing shows, and craft shows etc. Television also helps you know the places you can travel.
It expands your mind. You can spend time with your family watching a movie together. The television also shows comedy shows which affect our lives in a positive manner. Television helps you to connect with people in a large number and to a diversified platform. You can now watch your favorite shows in your own language such as Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, English etc. Nowadays, Television also provides game and you can play games on your television only. Television also provides agricultural related information to the farmers. Television promotes national integration.
Disadvantages of Television (Cons of Television)
If there are advantages of watching television, there are disadvantages too. Watching television in excess can affect our health that is it affects our eyes, makes lazy like couch potatoes etc. Television also makes a lot of sounds which affect our minds. Many TV shows are not suitable for innocent children. We compromise are sleep when addicted to television. We sometimes get negatively inspired by our favorite actors, actresses and role models.
We may not concentrate on studies if watching too much of television. Sometimes the quality of educational programs is not good and they can provide wrong information which affects the studies of students. Reading habit of people becomes extinct. We do not spend much time with society and nature. Youth can become aggressive while watching crime related shows and act in the same manner in their real life. We spend most of our time in flipping the channels. It can also change our perception regarding the world in a negative way.
Kids get attracted to the advertisements and demand the same from their parents. Addiction to television is just like an addiction to alcohol which affects us in a wrong manner. The more we watch television, the more is the electricity bill. Horror shows affect the mental state of kids and even young.
Read Also : Advantages and Disadvantages of Internet : Essay, Speech, Paragraph
Conclusion On Pros and Cons of Television
So above are the advantages and disadvantages of television. Watch television according to the need. If television is helpful it is harmful too. Do not watch television excessively as it can affect your physical and mental health. If you like the article and do comment.
Incoming Search Terms:
Advantages and Disadvantages of Television (TV) – Essay, Speech, Article4.4 (87.43%) 70 votes
Meaning of Television
The word television comes from two words that work together. The ‘tele‘ part comes from the Greek for ‘far away’. The ‘vision‘ part, however, has a Latin root: it comes from the Latin for ‘sight’. This last etymological derivation is one that most people can guess for themselves, as ‘vision’ is still a word that we use to refer to sight.
As such, television means seeing things that are far away, and this is precisely what our television sets enable us to do as they broadcast programmes from across the globe.
Television is one of the most important invention of Science. Scientifically, it is only a higher form of the radio. In addition to its old function of passing on sounds, it transmits and receives visual images using electromagnetic radiation.
First developed in UK by John Logie Baird in 1926, TV has today evolved into the most powerful instrument of audio-visual communication.
In modern parlance, television is not just the physical box shaped device with a screen that lets us watch shows such as soap operas and documentaries. The concept of television has been greatly extended. These days, we can watch television programmes on laptops, smartphone screens and computers. However, the core principle remains the same: we are seeing things that come from very far away.
To our common folk this instantaneous reproduction of both sight and sound still appears magical. They are simply overwhelmed with wonder and joy as they see and hear people who may be thousands of miles away. Even when they leave, wonder does not seem to have gone out of their eyes.
1. Relief from anxiety and monotony: Television delights and instructs us in various ways. Artistic programs including drama, song and dance give us relief from the anxieties and monotony of daily life and take us to the realm of imagination. We all get very tired when we return home after working outside for the entire day. We can watch television shows while relaxing on the sofa at our drawing room. It fills our life with vigor.
2. Entertainment: It is said that “variety is the spice of life” and television offers a variety of entertainment channels. There is no doubt for the fact the television offers wide variety of entertainment both for the adults and the kids as well. We can choose from the series of plays, serials, movies, and sports televised. Television offers entertainment for every one of us. For adults, there are movie-channels, news-channels, live shows, reality shows, serials, etc. For small children, there are cartoon-networks, educational-networks, etc.
3. Media interviews: The media men have regular interviews with eminent writers, scholars, scientists and other celebrities. These extend our awareness of various subjects and sharpen our desire for knowledge and understanding. When we watch interviews of our celebrities, we understand how they overcame their early-career difficulties. We get inspired by watching these interviews of great and successful personalities.
4. Live shows: There is no end to the pleasures. It caters to millions of people of all age. They are thrilled as they witness live-cast shows of important games and incidents. We become very excited when we see the live matches of cricket, football, soccer, tennis, etc. Major international games such as Olympics are shown live on the television. Live events of various music shows, award functions, etc. are telecasted live on television.
5. Moral lessons: But, besides entertainment, many television shows are aimed at teaching moral lessons to the society. Though, mass television campaigns, efforts are made to boost a sense of integrity and moral-values among the common people. Various documentaries are also made to raise the consciousness of the people so that the society can be benefited by their actions. The harmful effects of drug, alcohol, smoking, etc. are displayed to encourage the viewers to stay from these evils.
In spite of its popularity, television is not free from disadvantages. That calls forth certain criticisms.
1. Negatively effects the studies of the children: The young children spend more time watching television than sitting with books. It greatly affects their studies. Parents should ensure that the study of their children doesn’t get negatively affected in any way.
2. Dull and indecent programs: Some of the television programs are often dull and indecent. It divert the attention of the youth. It creates certain feelings in them which are detrimental to their future.
3. Distraction: Some of the cinema shows and advertisements are unhealthy for youngsters. The youth should use television carefully so that their mind doesn’t get distracted.
4. Wastage of time: People steal out of their work at times and gaze at Television shows in marts for hours together. They waste immense time doing nothing while watching television.
5. Quality of educational programs: The national educational programs are yet to come up to our expectations. The number of quality education programs are few. Very often, they fail to meet the expectation of the students.
6. Develop idleness: The excessive love for Television leads to idleness, sentimentalism and weakening of our sense organs and imagination. During holidays, instead of going out in the open and play some sports, the youngsters prefer to remain idle watching television.
7. People read fewer books: During leisure time, people get enough time to read books or do other acts of recreation. However, people are more interested in watching television than reading books.
8. Alienates us society and elements of nature: Too much dependence on Television alienates us from society and nature, the direct touch of which alone can revitalize our senses and imagination.
Conclusion: In spite of the fact that television has some disadvantages, the utility and importance of television in modern world cannot be denied.
Edited with input from various contributors.
Category: BlogTagged With: Television (TV)